Become a Rail Park Tour Guide!
We're seeking tour guides who are passionate about the Rail Park, Philadelphia, and their community.
Tour guides will lead walking tours of current and future phases of the Rail Park for community members, local organizations, private companies, students, and others. This position requires a commitment to learning and understanding of the history of the Rail Park and its surrounding neighborhoods. Tour guide experience and familiarity with the Rail Park are not a requirement. Training will be provided and is required. Tour guides, however, should feel comfortable public speaking and interacting with tour participants. Tour guides will be able to create their own schedule and will be compensated for each tour given.
Training and Development
Tour guides will have to attend three mandatory training sessions and lead a practice tour. The training sessions include Rail Park 101, Inclusivity + Infrastructural Racism Training, and Tour Creation + Storytelling Workshop. These workshops are tentatively scheduled for February 22nd, March 1st, and March 8th. There will also be a virtual program overview and Q & A session on February 15th which is not mandatory but highly encourage on attending. Guides will then create and present a tour to Friends of the Rail Park staff for evaluation. Once guides pass their evaluation, they will be eligible to lead tours. Training and check-ins will continue on a biannual basis.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Complete training and pass an evaluation
- Be an ambassador of the Rail Park and Friends of the Rail Park
- Lead at least 3 tours per year
- Lead accurate, informative, and entertaining tours
- Answer attendees questions
- Attend guide meetups twice a year
- Review with any updates to training materials and project developments
Qualifications and Skills
- Friendly and able to interact with the public
- Passionate about Philadelphia and/or the Rail Park
- Must be over the age of 16
- Comfortable Walking over 4 miles
- The ability to speak more than one language is a plus
- Preference for people living/working/ going to school in the 10+ neighborhoods that encapsulate the Rail Park
Perks and Benefits
- Compensation per tour plus potential for tips
- Rail Park t-shirt
- Flexible schedule
- Professional Development Training
- Meet new people in an interactive setting
- Learn about the diverse history, art, culture, and nature of Philadelphia’s neighborhoods and public spaces
Deadline to apply is February 3, 2023. Applicants will be notified of their application status on February 10, 2023.*
*Please note that this is the first year of this program, therefore there will be a limited number of applicants accepted for this position, based on qualifications and availability. As this program grows, there will be another call for applicants if you were not chosen this round or the timing does not work for you.
Thursday, December 7, 2023
Holiday Happy Hour